Sunday, September 19, 2010

Brain Mush; aka. Wee-Hour Inspiration

There comes a time, and usually -- sometimes unfortunately -- that time comes in the wee hours of the morning.  It is the time when I should be asleep instead of being awoken with a  moment of inspiration -- one so powerful -- I am driven to leave the comfort of my bed to head to the sofa, grab a fresh skein of yarn, and a crochet hook to quietly begin crocheting the project I see in my brain. 

If I'm lucky, maybe 15 minutes of stitching is enough to quiet those creative juices from flowing; then I can quickly return to dream land.  But sometimes some of these wee-hour inspirations demand much. more. time.

To get around that, I had decided that this time I would sketch my idea out, write a bunch of notes, including what stitches are to go where, increases, decreases, and so on.  That seemed to work.  Or so I thought.  I found myself re-awake at 6:00 AM, excited to get the project started!  What?!  No coffee first?!  Nope.  There I was.  Awake.  Stitching. Stitching. Stitching.  Now I'm on the final rows....

Hours later my children awoke from their peaceful slumber, looked at the project and asked, "What on Earth is that!!??"  What can I say, it's one of those wee-hour inspirations; LOL.  I don't think any further explanation should be required.

Now I'm on the last leg of the project, and I'm still not sure if it will work out exactly as my imagination has it pictured ("some assembly required" seems to have been omitted from my notes!).  I'm already thinking of creating another; this time taking more notes and using another yarn & hook for results closer to what I had imagined.

Has this ever happen to you?  At the moment my brain is mush thanks to sleep deprivation.  I'm going to have to reread Mary Beth Temple's Hooked for Life: Adventures of a Crochet Zealot, to see what insight she has for this phenomenon.  For now, I'm off to get that cup of coffee, and to finish those last few rows...

3 comments:

Spundun said...

Oh, yes - it is the curse of the creative mind.

Look forward to seeing what you have created!

Anonymous said...

At least you picked out a wonderful soft yarn to "play" with. :)

Astaryth said...

Awww... Simply Soft. So many of my afghans are done in that. Durable enough to be washed again and again, yet soft enough for a baby blanket. And the cost doesn't break my 'craft' budget :)