Saturday, July 11, 2009

Guest Blogger: NLS Stitches



"Crochet aha! moment" by Nancy of NLS Stitches:

I work for mass transit, and about 20 years ago one of the guys on my crew was waiting impatiently for his son to be born. When he was, there were some serious medical problems for the baby. They weren't sure if he would make it even after having surgery.

I was compelled to make that baby a blanket. Now I hadn't been crocheting that long, and hadn't really progressed past scarves and pot holders, but that blanket was going to be made! It was in greens for healing, yellows for warmth and sunshine, blues for serenity and peace, peaches and pinks for love, and reds for energy. Those were the colors that wanted out. Each stitch coming off my hook said "You will make it, little one. Keep fighting. Everything will be fine."

I really had no clue to the fact that yarns came in different weights and thicknesses that didn't always match up very well when mixed in the same project, but that was the fate of that blanket. I was proud I had gotten it done, somewhat embarrassed that it was a bit lopsided from the different weights/types of yarn used. But..........

I wrapped it up and presented it to Steve the next time I saw him and I received a big hug from him and a beautiful note from his wife.

As the ways of mass transit go, our crew broke up a few months after the birth of the baby, and I didn't see him for a few years. I heard thru the grapevine that the baby was doing well and pulling thru better than expected. I ran into him and his wife a couple of years ago at the store, and after some chitchat, was asked if I still crocheted. I said yes, and that I had improved considerably since the making of their son's blanket. That's when I was told he still had the blanket and little poem I had written to go along with it. It still sits on his bed to this day. I like to think that blanket helped the baby pull thru to grow into a gorgeous 20 year old man.

2 comments:

Jennifer Cirka said...

beautiful!

Maven said...

What a lovely sentiment. I know too many folks who feel compelled to crochet something out of some sense that it's "expected." To me, this runs counterintuitive to the whole idea of making something for someone. To make it out of love and compassion rather than some sense of obligation, to me, THAT is the biggest gift of all.

Peace 'n fleece,
Maven