Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Sneaking Off...

Today started out with a "bump" in the road ... it seems my daughter's "crochet bite" was a bit "itchy" and she just had to "work in a few stitches" before school this morning.  To those I've told the story to they all replied, "Well, she is her mother's daughter!"  An eight year old sneaking off to work in crochet stitches ... too funny!

I got my own chance to sneak off and get in some well needed stitching.  I attended our monthly "Coffee, Crochet & Chat" session at Borders this morning.  I got there a bit early and pulled every "new to me" crochet book off the shelves and began flipping through them; two of which came home with me.

The first book is not crochet (gasp!) -- nope.  It's a knit book, but I was so impressed with the technique, I knew in just flipping through the pages that it was something I could play with converting over to crochet.  The book, pictured on the right is, Module Magic: Creative Projects to Knit One Block at a Time. The concept is similar along the lines of Judith Copeland's "Modular Crochet," except here the work is created in smaller modules -- squares, rectangles and triangles that are then matched up to create your garment.  If you get a chance, check it out and think about what crochet stitches/color combos would work.  I'm sure you'll be just as excited about this concept as I was.

The second book that found a new home with me is Kids Crochet: Projects for Kids of All Ages.  I was really impressed with all the projects, and the kids -- both boys and girls -- pictured while crocheting.  I'm hoping this books helps inspire my son to pick the hook up a bit more often.  Hmmm, maybe not to the point where he's hiding to sneak in a few more stitches when we're supposed to be getting ready for school!  

As far as what project I was working on -- does it really matter?  I think that as long as I am able to feel the fiber slipping through my fingers in one hand while my crochet hook darts and twists between the fingers of my other hand I am happy.  Maybe I should take the cue from my daughter and sneak off a bit myself to work in "a few more stitches."

No comments: