Sunday, May 30, 2004

Memorial (Fiber) Day Weekend, Cont.

The trip to Patternworks this morning was fun -- the scenic drive was inspiring even if we did get a bit lost.  At least we found a possible new vacation spot for sometime in the future ...Meredith ... which is on the NW edge of Lake Winnipesaukee.  The blue-blue water, surrounded by the small green mountains (sorry, I've BEEN out West, and the mountains in the East are not mountains to me ... not in comparison to the Rocky Mountains...) 

Anyway, the ride there was beautiful.  I imagined a new project in the future that incorporates the blue & green colors and once at Patternworks, I ended up with yarns of those colors.  I treated myself to two new pins ... 'YARN DIVA" and "I (heart) to Crochet."  I also picked up some charms, and leafed through Lily Chins new book on knitting & crocheting with beads.  (She has some pretty pieces in that book!)  I also picked up a ton of various types of white yarns ... not a cream white, but a white's white ... again, for a future project I have in mind.  I cannot believe how difficult it's been to find white mohair, but they had it.  I bought the one ball that they had.  I also got one ball of white angora.  MMmmmmm.  It's so soft!!

Afterwards we headed to Sanbornton for the "Rendezvous" (pronounced 'rän-di-"vü -- yeah, I know, it's another one of those French words that don't look anything like the way it's pronounced.  Anyways, I'm not 100% sure, but this website may be their official one: Northeastern Primitive Rendezvous at least the pictures they have will give you an idea of what the event/people looked like.) -- we met up with my BIL (brother-in-law) and his family and had fun visiting.  Everyone camping there was dressed in traditional dress of the 1700 period and was living in make-shift tents as they did in that time.  Many of the women were wrapped in crocheted shawls or blankets (granny square) Later when my niece showed up with her new baby without a hat, I went to our van and took out one of the new cotton yarns I had just purchased at Patternworks and without a pattern, whipped up the 5-week old baby a little bonnet.  Considering I only used single and half double crochet stitches, and had little time to do it, it got rave reviews.  (Hopefully I'll be able to put a picture of it up soon.)

It was fun being there & who knows, maybe one day I'll be tempted to dress as if I lived in the 1700's and partake in this interesting event ... and of course, you know, I'll have my wooden hooks flying ... crocheting various items that would have been utilized in the period.

For now, it's a swim in the hotel pool and then an evening of studing the map to see where in Vermont Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory is.  Tomorrow we'll be headed back home.  Hmmm, maybe I should see if there are yarn shops on the way home that we should stop at too... LOL 

No comments: