Saturday, October 15, 2005

A Jewel of Strength & Inspiration

Which Fantasy/SciFi Character Are You?

I took the test to see which sci-fi character I am, and apparently I scored as Princess Leia:
     "A strong-willed herald of causes against injustice, you passionately strive to right the wrongs around you.
Somebody has to save our skins!"

Funny, I don't recall Princess Leia as being a crocheter, but if we could write it in as one of her hobbies that'd be pretty cool.

On a more serious note, I was reading this
news article and was truly touched by this woman's strength.  I feel for her, and I admire her for coming forward and sharing her story with the world.  Beverly Leo is a crocheter (note that the writer keeps saying *knit* instead of crochet)  who was diagnosed with lymphangiomyomatosis, a disease that causes smooth muscle to grow over lung tissue, blocking the passage of oxygen.  She has little time left and is planning her own memorial service.  She's using crochet as a means to maintain some control when her disease has taken everything else from her. 

          ["I thought, 'Why should I reach for that light? Why should I reach for that crochet bag? I'm just so peaceful.'"] 

At the present time she's "... crocheting a small wind horse, a mythical figure prevalent on Tibetan prayer flags. The horse, which carries three jewels representing Buddhist wisdom and enlightenment, combines the strength of a horse and the wind to carry prayers to heaven."

Beverly, I think you're a "Princess Leia."  You are a fighter, an inspirer.  I hope you are able to finish your horse and get to take "that last ride."

No comments: