Saturday, October 22, 2005

"Happy Hats"

A little over three months ago I was contacted by another blogger asking if I'd like join in the RAKing of another blogger that has been quite ill.  The goal, which is still a work in progress, was to have the bloggers create a square that would be worked into a special quilt.  Since I'm not comfortable with my sewing abilities (yet) I felt that I would offer my crochet skills and create two special hats:  One for "every day" and one for those "special events." 

This week the hats I crocheted were revealed at "Quilted Compassions," as they were shipped ahead of the quilt to show the blogger that there is a community that cares.  (Sheila, thanks for the update!  Keep up the good work!)

I have since received a few emails offering to purchase the beautiful lacy chemo hat
I created the pattern for.  There is a lot of thought that needs to go into this.  First, I know that I don't want to financially gain over someone else's illness, so if I were to sell them the proceeds would need to go to a nonprofit group.  Then there's a decision of how many hats to offer, and also on where to offer them for sale. 

I think I'm on the right track in reading some of
ebay's help pages, because I'm thinking that if I'm going to do this, it's going to be done right, and done for a cause in need.  I'll have to research it some more; watch for updated posts on this topic.  For now, I plan on heading to work -- that place where the shelves are just filled with ever-delicious fibers.  I'll pick up some of Berroco's Lavish and at least get started on crocheting a hat or two ...

But before I go, I'd like to mention that someone else crochets hats for a good cause:  Happy Hats by Kassie Depaiva -- be sure to check them out and keep watching for when she's offering more!!!

*RAKing:  Random Act of Kindness

No comments: