Friday, April 26, 2013

... the ties that bind us: family heirlooms ...

I'm sure I've mentioned this many times before, but I think it is well worth mentioning again:  I love Piecework magazine!  Cover to cover!
 
Family Heirlooms: Granny sporting her
new crocheted tiara.
In the mail today was the May/June 2013 issue, which included an article by the author of a book I mentioned here at CWD back in 2007 (http://crochetwithdee.blogspot.com/2007/06/heroes-hooks-and-heirlooms.html) ... "Of Heroes, Hooks, and Heirlooms", by Faye Silton.  While I still highly recommend this book, I was thrilled to see the author has now offered the crochet pattern that her fictional character, Mia, could have created.

... and since I'll be at the Connecticut Sheep & Wool Festival, I now get to shop for a lovely yarn to crochet it with.   Whoot!

                                                                       --*--**--*--

In just the past couple of weeks actually, I've learned of some family history I never knew -- of a young couple that met at a yarn mill, fell in love, married - and fast forward a few generations - here I am! (More proof that I have yarn fibers in my DNA; lol

I also saw for the first time a picture of another relative who was a Canadian Mounted Police Officer -- who also loved to crochet (I'll have to post his picture sometime).  The feeling of family connection/history -- though holding a copy of the young couple's marriage certificate, to holding a picture, was amazing!
 
To me heirlooms don't need to be something worth a lot of money, but it does have to have some emotional or family ties.  I think this is why my mother was quick to have "dibs" to be the next in line for the crocheted tiara I recently designed/crocheted for granny -- because it is something tangible we can hold close to our hearts.  Perhaps this is why Silton's story resignates in me the way it does.  :)

No comments: