Friday, December 10, 2010

Roving at the Library

It has been a flurry of activity here at the CrochetWithDee homestead.  So when our local library announced they were going to offer a Felting Workshop I decided it would be a good distraction for my kids -- and a great way for them to play with roving.


Sadly, the class booked up so we were wait listed.  Being in the middle of Hanukkah and nearing the shopping craze for Christmas, I didn't think they'd be able to squeeze in another class -- but they did!  (Yes!!)

Earlier this evening I packed up the kids, taking note that there were fine white crystals falling from the sky.  I love snow.  And I love playing with fiber.  I had hopes my kids would take to needle felting as a fun activity.

Upon arrival we met our instructor, Katie Stevenson, and many lovely ladies in attendance.  Since I already had felting experience I decided to leave instructing the kids in her hands (as a crochet teacher, I fully understand that sometimes kids learn better if it is someone else other than their parent(s) offering the lesson).

We set to work.  I had originally planned on making a sheep, and Dee Jr. planned on making a pig.  Only it did not turn out that way.  Sometimes it is the project that will dictate what it wants to be -- much like the skeins of yarn that sit in our stashes until they reveal what they want to be shaped into!  So Dee Jr.'s pig became an alligator, and my sheep became a gerbil. ... Or maybe it's a guinea pig... I'm not really sure... lol

Only Mini~Dee's project came out as she had planned -- a cute snowman.  (There's a really cute picture of it on her blog.)

The good news is, the kids really loved needle felting, and they're pretty excited I "happen" to have all the supplies (needles & raw roving) in my stash.  With it snowing tonight, I'm envisioning the kids making more items tomorrow.  Wouldn't it be fun if they created a little mug of hot chocolate, complete with marshmallows?   :)

No comments: