Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Last Chorus of the Ling-Along

Today marks the end of the "Ling-Along," the crochet-along featuring Doris Chan's "Ling Collar" featured in her book, Crochet Lace Innovations: 20 Dazzling Designs in Broomstick, Hairpin, Tunisian, and Exploded Lace, that took place on Ravelry.

What makes this Ling Collar different from the other half-dozen I've already whipped up is:

  • it will be a gift for someone very special to me.
  • I made modifications to the pattern.

For the modifications, the first thing I did was wind several yards of yarn from the skein before making my slip knot and starting. I did this because I knew I wanted to add a trim to the top -- while meeting my desire to prevent having to bury in 2 extra ends of yarn later on.

The second thing I did was change the single crochets required for the beginning of the pattern into double crochets. Once I joined my work to create the circle I went back to the yarn I had pre-wound and added this trim of dc sts wrapped around the posts of sc sts:

Then I went back to crocheting the Ling as instructed.

When it came time for me to add the Lady Bug buttons, I removed my hook from the live loop, inserted the loop through the button hole, and then placed the loop back onto my hook. This meant I did not need to pre-string the buttons, nor did I need to later sew them on (and thus need to weave in the ends from sewing!)

The "Lady Bug" beads were added on the bottom trim the same way as I added on the buttons. One tip for adding small-holed beads to live crochet loops is to use a beading wire needle. Snip off the eye, and fold the needle in half. Then place your live loop into the fold of the needle, and while holding both ends (legs) of the needle, thread it through your bead(s). I'm sure you'll find this little trick very useful! ;)

I think it is also important for me to add that I used Berroco Comfort yarn and a size "K" (Graydog) crochet hook as I wanted to bump up the size to fit a larger woman.

The next step is for me to call my Grammie Gloria to make a special lunch date & surprise her with this Lady Bug Ling. :)

4 comments:

dkmoyer said...

Dee, you are convincing me that I really need to make one of these. I have loved all the ones you have made - bet you could crochet one in your sleep!!!!
diane

CrochetingWithDee.com said...

Almost, Diane. Almost! LOL

Astaryth said...

Love, Love, Love the little Ladybugs! How difficult is this collar to make? It's so pretty I'm thinking about going out and buying the book for the pattern :)

CrochetingWithDee.com said...

Astaryth, after admiring the beautiful crochet work you do, I do believe you can make a Ling too.

I do encourage you to join Doris Chan's "Everyday Crochet" Ravelry.com group so that if you run into any complications you can get a quick answer from one of us who have made one, or in my case 7 (lol).

The pattern has you making foundation-sc sts, sc sts, chains, doubles, and some decreases. The pattern is worked in joining rows (which means you turn your work). Knowing you have many of these stitches under your belt, yes, you can make one too!

~Dee :)