Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Phone Conversation With Auntie ...

"Hello honey, it's me, your Auntie," she cheerly stated when I answered my cell phone.  I smiled; I knew why she was calling.

"I received a bright yellow box yesterday from a very nice young man," she cooed. That would be the DHL guy delivering my package addressed to "The World's Greatest Aunt;" it's amazing those delivery people knew exactly who she was!  {{VBG}}

"I couldn't wait to see what was inside the box," she continued, "so I opened it immediately!  Ohhhhhhhh honey, (note: she's the only one I allow to call me "honey" on a regular basis) your work is so beautiful!"

She received the black hat & scarf set created with designer yarns she had picked out, along with an additional red hat that worked up so beautifully with Berroco's Cotton Twist.  All three pieces were designed especially for her.  These were in place of the crazy afghan I had initially started for her some months back.  The afghan got sidelined the day I took her to the Wool Connection during their Going Out of Business sale: holding up some beautiful fibers, she expressed a desire for me to design a special hat & scarf set for her.  So like the good niece that I am, I did.

"I can't wait to show these to the girls," she went on.  "I know they'll be ooohhhing and aaahhhhing over your work too."  I was delighted she liked her gifts, and thanked her for her compliments. 

"Oh honey,"  I want you to come and teach the girls how to crochet.  Will you? I want us to learn how to crochet little hats for babies."

I told her I can arrange to come visit her to teach her and her friends how to crochet.  She got even more excited, "Really, honey? You'd do that for me?"

Of course I would. After all, she is the World's Greatest Aunt. And what better way is there to celebrate her 80th birthday than to host a crochet party with all her friends? :) 
Tags: ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This entry made me smile start to finish!  And after reading it I called my special aunt just to let her know I was thinking about her.  Don't you just love how kindness gets paid forward!?!  Thanks!  Haley