Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Big E

I attended The Big E yesterday, also known as the Eastern States Exposition, that's held every year in West Springfield, MA for three weeks.  Yesterday was "Connecticut" day and that's the day my CGOA Chapter enjoys demonstrating crochet in the Eastern States building.

We couldn't have asked for better weather ... sun shining with the temperature around 75 degrees (F).  We were just a dozen of the 72,103 people who attended this fair yesterday! 

Some of the highlights:
    * Some people took our club members up on free beginner crochet lessons.
    * Walter (If I recall his name correctly; see image #1), a volunteer in the Eastern States building, learned how to crochet Hairpin Lace.
    * Hand-dyed yarn was offered for sale in the Connecticut State building; a spinning (yarn) demonstration was going on in the Maine building (not 100% sure if this is correct, but am hoping my memory got it right).
    * Ruth, one of our Chapter members, presented me with newspaper clipping; I'll show it tomorrow as it's a different topic.
Jo-Ann Sensations Rainbow Boucle Yarn     * One of our newest members, Karen, had her Seraphina Shawl on display. (This is same pattern I enjoyed crocheting up this past Spring)  Only Karen's was crocheted with JoAnn's Sensations Rainbow Boucle in the dark blues -- it was something to be seen & touched as it was a real "show stopper!"  Free shipping at Joann.com!  Code:  SEPFSA625At the end of the demonstration a woman stopped by to talk to Karen & I.  As we chatted I spotted something peeking out of the lady's bag -- we asked her to show off to us what she had crocheted.  She pulled out "Martha's Poncho" created in the exact same yarn and colorway! ... it was a real treat to see the two pieces side by side! (see image #2)  It was a great way to end such a fun day! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee - Can you tell me what Walter is using to do his hairpin lace?  We try to teach this here in Nj at our Library and it is costly for a lot of folks to buy the "artisan" looms out there and the clover and other more inexpensive models are harder to find  locally.  It looks like to knitting needles but I can't tell what is on top holding t hem together?  Canyou share this technique for my fixed income friends.  Thanks.