Sunday, June 4, 2006

In the Eye of the Beholder

Never has a title for a blog entry rang truer ... with a lesson to be learned too!  Folks, if you have children, please, please keep them away from those self-winding tape measurers!  They can take out an eye!

Here's what happened yesterday:  I'm happily crocheting along making serious progress on my tank top when one of my children picked up my self-winding tape measure and whonk ... pulls the tape out and then zipppppppps ... presses the button where it gets sucked into the housing.  This is repeated.  I'm not paying attention as I'm in the zone.  You know, that "crochet zone" where the process elevates your creative juices ... stitch stitch stitch.  That was me until zippppppppppppppppp smack!

Yep!  Right into my eyeball.  You know those silent screams babies do when they suddenly get hurt and then you hear a deafening scream?  Yes.  That was me.  It still hurts.  But I think I'll be alright.  For now, it feels best to keep the eye closed.  There appears to be a blood blister near the pupil, but I think I should be ok.  Fortunately I know how to type with my eyes closed, and more importantly, I know how to crochet with them closed too.  I'm about 3/4 done with the tank and will continue.  I'm really liking the way my project is turning out!! 

Unfortunately this means I'll be a bit slow in responding to my emails.  But this does raise an interesting question: Do blind people crochet?  Absolutely!!  Patterns are available in braille!  Lion Brand is one such company offering them.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Just reading your entry made my eyes water! Hope the eye gets better soon.