Monday, February 23, 2004

Last Week: Felting & Finishing Projects

Last week my husband and I were on vacation.   We went to a little place called "accomplishment" -- meaning we spent the week catching up on items we've been putting off.   And what a great week!

I finished the scarves for the Kindergarten teachers -- even wrapped them!  They were to have been given as gifts this past holiday season but a wrist injury put me behind by six weeks -- you can see a picture of the scarves by visiting here: http://picturetrail.com/crochetwithdee.

I enjoyed crocheting swatches and felting them.  I made a bowl for the upcoming class in Stamford and am currently putting the finishing touches on a bag for the Bethel/Brookfield classes (I'm creating the pattern for it).  Normally playing in water does a number to my hands, but I've found a product that works for me.  Visit my "Pamper Yourself" webpage to find out what it is.

I'm also tickled that I made a couple more preemie blankets, and sorted out some of my stash.  I'm amazed at how much work I did this week; I certainly feel as though I'm making up for lost time!

I also read a news article discussing sailors boxes -- and the last line of the article caught my attention! -- it mentioned an old technique of crocheting with hair!    I've added a brief description to my "Types of Crochet" webpage, and have been busy researching this topic a bit further.  I still have some of my hair clippings from back in the day when my hair was really long, so hopefully I'll be able to experiment with this in the future.

Then this past Saturday I visited the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, CT.  There we watched a movie in the Imax theater (6 stories tall) of The Black Stallion.  The main character was a little girl who bonded with a black horse -- she was wearing a pretty filet crocheted hat in several of the scenes.  Then later as we strolled through the exhibits we spotted a blue/white granny square afghan on display in their Microbes exhibit. (http://www.maritimeaquarium.org/about_us/history.html) What a great way to spend the day together as a family! :)

I hope your week was just as fun!

 

No comments: