Thursday, August 21, 2008

Take a Number

I survived taking five -- FIVE! -- children to the Stamford Museum yesterday.  Unfortunately the museum took the LEGO exhibit down, but the children had fun anyway ... playing at the adjoined park, petting the animals at the farm next door, then later going out for hand-churned ice cream and so on.   We couldn't have asked for better weather!

As they played I dodged bees and worked on my Doris Chan "All Shawl" using up scraps of yarn left over from my son's Tunisian Knit Vest I recently won a Blue Ribbon for.

I had just a touch of Berroco's Softwist (a wool/rayon blend), and about 200 yards of the most fantastic hand painted "Mountain Colors" yarn from Montana (a merino wool and silk blend) left over.   Since the two were not quite enough to complete the shawl, I rummaged through my stash and found 3 balls of Lana Grossa Pallone (a cotton/microfiber mixture; the yarn having a slight "bumpy" texture similar to crocheting with small beads) and set to work. 

My goal was to use the Fibonacci Sequence (math!!) that Marty taught at last year's CGOA conference.  I'm not exactly sure I followed her methods exactly (consulting her handouts from the class would surely have helped me!), but since I didn't have access to my notes, and I had FIVE children to keep track of, I am very pleased with the results I came up with going by memory.   I finished the shawl earlier this morning while waiting for my kids to finish with their music lessons.  Now all I need to do is tuck my ends and block it.  :)

PS: I know it's not the greatest picture, but YOU try to get a child to stand still while there is fun to be had!  LOL   If you want to give Doris' ALL SHAWL pattern a try, you can find it on Ravelry (for free).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From wikipedia, here is the Fibonacci Sequence,

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

I haven't tried crocheting with it, though I have knit garter stitch with it.  Garter stitch gives a ridge on the right side for every two rows, so I've doubled the count.

2 2 4 6 10 16 ........  That way 2 rows give me one ridge and the sequence works.


Wendy