Sunday, August 24, 2008

Stepping Closer to the Future

I don't know what came over me, but one day last week I decided to stop in my local Goodwill Super Store and see what they had.  Would I find crochet hooks?  Crochet pattern books?  Yarn? Thread?  It felt like I was going on an adventure! 

Upon walking into the store I found a beautiful china cabinet.  I looked it over and found it in reasonable shape.  The glass shelves, the glass doors, all good.  In my mind, I had already filled it with yarn.   I didn't buy it.  I found nothing crochet related, but did leave with books the children had picked out.

Later in the evening I met up with my father and discussed the cabinet with himDee's future yarn stash home.  Would he be able to store it at his house until we are ready to move?  Would it fit in one of his trucks?  Would he be willing to fetch it for me?  Since it was late and I needed to return home, we left these questions open ended.

When I returned home, I told Mr. Dee about the cabinet.  And, as in any household with children, the conversation moved on to something else, and I had forgotten about it until my father called this morning and asked if I wanted to go with him to get it.  Oh boy!  Did I???!!!! 

I tried to locate the phone number to the store to inquire if they were open and IF they still had the cabinet.  Nope; the store is too new.  We took our chances.

When we walked into the store I was relieved and horrified at the same time!  Relieved because the cabinet was still there; horrified because there was another couple looking at it.  Was I too late?  I got in line at the register and when it came my turn, I pointed to the cabinet and said excitedly, "I want to buy that one; is it still available?"   It was, and I'm delighted to say it's now mine!  I still can't believe how giddy I was holding onto the receipt!  ((yes, I'm still smiling, hours later)) 

Unfortunately the cabinet is soooo large that it didn't quite fit into the back of my father's pickup; he had to go get his trailer to transport it for me.  But now, it is safely stored at his house, waiting for the day we move (looks like that will happen in about a year).   I am quite excited that I'm a step closer to realizing my dream of having an official area for all of my stash!   :)

Some stats:  The bottom piece has doors that open, great for storing finished items I use for various classes I teach.  We believe the cabinet was made in 1973, and might be walnut or maple; it's very heavy!  There are some dings, and one glass shelf broke when we moved to my father's house (but that can be easily replaced).  ... still not bad for $75!

PS: I also found this adorable doll there today.  I couldn't leave her there, she reminded me too much of my dear grandmother who was not only a crocheter and knitter, but also collected antique dolls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow what a treasure the doll and the furniture:) Lucky you... what a great dad you have. Sherri