Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Question From Reader: Crocheting With Beads

Dear Dee,
I would love to learn how to add beads to my crochet work but don't have the time to spend pre-stringing all the beads.  Do you have any suggestions?  Thanks, Myra

Hi Myra,
 There are a number of ways you can add beads to your crochet work!  First, let me state that I found it a wonderful experience to use a fiber that was pre-sequined for me this past summer when I designed a dress for my daughter.  It was a breeze to use and a real time-saver; all I had to do was crochet my design! 

One of the first fibers to arrive on the scene "pre-beaded" (that I noticed) was Berroco's Laser FX.  The Laser FX is thin thread with sequins pre-strung on for you.  It sold for about $13 a skein and it was a lot of fun to use.  In the years since it first came out the price has gone up (as it has on all fibers), but it's still fun to use when you want to add some sparkle magic to a special project. 

Moda-Dea Beadnik Yarn Since that time there have been some new arrivals on our local yarn/craft shop shelves worthy of being experimented with.  One of them being Moda-Dea's Beadnik Yarn!  It's prestrung with beads or sequins in a large variety of colors when compared to Berroco's Laser FX.  The yarn is thicker too, so it's not necessary to run it along another fiber unless you want to.  Some fiberholics think it's a bit pricey, but then again, when the time saving factor is added in along with the fact that you don't need to use it with another fiber then I think it's a steal!  (It sells for about $6 a ball)

Now if prestringing your fiber, or buying prestrung yarn is not an option for you, then you might want to check out a little tool called "The Beadler."  This tool helps you put the bead on per-stitch!  You can learn more about it here: http://www.jawak.com.  Yes, I do own one and I do love using it!  ((Hint: If you don't own one, put it on your Holiday Wish List!)) 

Lastly, for even more control over where your beads are placed on your work, you can always sew them on once your project has been completed.  I did such this past Spring when I wanted Swarovski crystal beads randomly placed on a shawl I crocheted.  I loved the end results!  :)

So, no matter which option you opt to go with, adding beads to your crochet work can be a lot of fun!  For more information & patterns to try with beads, give Sandi a visit at http://crochet.about.com

Great question Myra!  Thanks for writing in!
Sincerely,
~Dee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I had no idea one could crochet with beads!  Thanks for the tip.  
Hugs,
Lisa