Tuesday, August 24, 2004

My Own Olympic Moment

On Thursday I mentioned that I was entering some items in a local fair for judging ... I learned of the results on Friday night when Grace called me.

She asked, "Do you want to know?"

I said, "Yes. Well, no. Yeah, um, no. OK, but nah." I was so twisted with emotions of whether I should learn the results or not. So after another minute of hemming and hawing, I said "Yes, tell me."

And she did. Slowly.

Perhaps she did so because she needed to find a lull during my screaming.

She said, "The brown stole -- Blue."
         I screamed with delight.
She said, "The green/pink & fun fur child's sweater -- Blue!"
         I screamed louder, with joy.
She said, "The 'Wedding Traditions' (meaning the pillow & amulet bag I made for my nephews' & nieces' wedding this past June) -- Blue! ... ...and," she continued, "the Trophy for 'Best in Division!!!'" 

            OK ... scream with me, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

OMG!! The three items I entered all ribboned!!

When I went to the fair grounds yesterday to pick my items up, the lady running the fiber arts exhibit said that they really enjoyed my pieces and are looking forward to my creations for next year. They were pleased to hear that I have plans of selling the Child's Sweater to help raise funds for my non-profit crochet club that travels around the tri-state area, promoting crochet, and aiding local charities.

Then one of her assistants approached me and inquired about the pattern for the wrap. I told her I haven't written it up yet. "Oh, then do you need to take the piece," she asked, "I had so much fun modeling it." I laughed, and thanked her for the compliment. Then they both remarked that the Wedding ensemble was breathtaking. I smiled and thanked them again.

It's a fantastic experience to enter into competition, and win -- but as you just read, some of my pieces were well enjoyed by some of the volunteers running the Fair. And who knows who else they may have inspired to pick up the hook and try. And that's my main reason for entering these pieces ... to inspire.  I know, as I viewed my items and looked at the items surrounding them, I certainly was!

If you're interested in having your work judged, pick an item and start searching the Internet for information on your local Fairs. Or, if you live in Connecticut, just click here for a listing.  There's no other feeling quite like it than when someone approaches you and states that your piece that is on display inspires them! J

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dee!

You're a very, very talented lady.

And thanks for digging out the pictures of the gorgeous gowns a few posts ago. Me too, I vote for the second one - long beautiful sleeves, and that collar...

Anonymous said...

Way to Go on your Blue Ribbons (aka.Gold medals)  

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!  And just reading your journal is an inspiration to try!  Keep up the great work!  Sheila