Monday, November 3, 2008

Paleontology Discoveries

We spent yesterday at the Peabody Museum located in New Haven, CT, where Dee Jr. was a competitor in the 11th Paleo-Knowledge Bowl. Knowing the day had a lot of downtime (waiting) involved, I decided I would attempt to knit up a scarf for the 60 Scarves in 60 Days challenge.

Using Margaret's cast on method, I cast on 20 stitches and set to work. Mini~Dee again noted I was creating my stitches wrong and tried several times to correct me. But it was no use. I was enjoying what I was doing, even though it was wrong. My stitches were even, and better yet -- NOT twisted as they have been in past attempts. Mini~Dee just shook her head at me.

Soon, a woman approached me. "Hi Dee," she said, "you may not remember me, but we met at a school function and you encouraged me to go to the Internet for some crochet patterns." I did remember her and gave her a big smile while finishing the row of stitches I was working on. "Well," she continued, "you created a monster out of me! I've been crocheting nonstop ever since!" Then she looked at what I was doing and she got a puzzled look on her face. "Dee, are you knitting?!"

I laughed. Indeed I was. And in public! I explained that I'm trying to learn (again). Maybe I'll eventually be able to combine the two fiber art forms for some really creative projects. She agreed that it's a good idea to know both. "You know, I learned how to knit first," she confessed, "but I like the speed of crochet so much better." I invited her to one of our meetings; I hope she comes.


Time went by when I was approached by another woman. "I was watching you through the reflection in the display glass and had to come see what you are doing. Do you mind if I sit with you and watch?" I explained to her that I'm trying to learn how to knit and so my form/style may not be correct as my daughter has already informed me. And so she went into her bag, pulled out her own knitting project and knitted while she watched me.

"Ah," she said, "you don't knit wrong. You knit Scandinavian. I've watched the Scandinavian's knit that way, and they make the most beautiful lace with the tiniest of needles!" I was in shock; I knit Scandinavian? I'm knitting in a way that is comfortable to me and is NOT wrong?? Whew!! I felt like doing the Snoopy dance! We continued to sit together for quite awhile, stitching and chatting. By the end of the day my charity scarf was nearly 3/4 done! I invited her to join us for a meeting sometime too.

It turns out Paleontology discoveries can be quite educational! :)

1 comment:

Astaryth said...

Dude... Scandanavian style! I'm impressed LOL! How cool that what is comfortable to you turned out to be a perfectly fine way to knit!! I had the same thing with crochet when I was younger. I was taught by my mother, who was taught by -her- grandmother (my great-grandmother) who happened to have arthritis. Because of the arthritis she held her hook differently to compensate. Soooo.... because of this my Mom and I held our hooks differently. Didn't matter as everything turns out looking fine ;p Still, I have been trying over the last few years to hold my hook 'correctly'. And, when I slip and catch myself holding my hook 'wrong' I smile because it reminds me of my mother... and great-grandmother.

Besides... I'm a big believer in "Whatever works!"