Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Knee deep in Archimedes

Is it Wednesday; really? Where does time go? Aside from sulking about the economy issues (my Mr. Dee's employer has announced an 80% layoff plan, so we're waiting for the yarn to hit the fan, so to speak), I have been busy being Mini~Dee assistant for her math project. My job, as she worked on her display poster, was to pepper her with questions, preparing her to answer possible questions she may be asked about Archimedes.

Prior to this, I had suggested she pick Daina Taimina who ignited the world recently with her coral reef exhibit, using crochet to teach hyperbolic mathematics. Mini~Dee decided she did not want to include crochet in her project, so after a long while at researching possible candidates, she picked Archimedes.

Archimedes was a guy who lived for math. He spent his life coming up with new concepts and formulas. He figured out Pi, levers, and, as my daughter puts it, he figured out today's fashionable mobius. Yes, she put that in her report, complete with a figure made of pipe cleaners wearing a mobius she made out of ribbon trim! LOL

Now she is considering bringing in the crocheted mobius (pictured on left) I designed earlier this year -- so the kids would have something tangible they could see and touch to grasp the concept of a circle with two useable sides. Naturally, I'm thinking she should crochet one on her own, or one we could both work on together, so she can give it to her teacher for Christmas. We'll see.

My lesson to Mini~Dee ... no matter how much you try to escape it, math is crochet. And crochet is math. :)

2 comments:

SkiptomyLou said...

Hello my name is Cindy and I had linked to a pattern that I think was yours. It was for a child's treasure bag. It was posted on AOL. Apparently that site has shut down. If this is your pattern do you have anyway to send it to me. I could post it and link to this site. Thanks so much!

Cindy

Sandie said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!