Thursday, February 28, 2008

Crochet Hang~Ups!

Sometimes as I work on projects I think back to some of my earliest works and have a good chuckle. Somewhere around the age of 5-7 Dee picked up her first crochet hook. I think to myself, "I can't believe I let that ___________ prevent me from trying ________."  (fill in the blanks)

My first venture down this path was when I was a kid first learning how to crochet.  I didn't have anyone around to inquire how to go from the chain to making stitches, so for two years I perfected my chain making skills.

Then I learned how to make stitches in the chain, but couldn't figure out how to get to the next row.  So for two years I The afghan I crocheted for my mother and got me my first crochet teaching gig.perfected my skills of making chains with one row.

Then, during a very magical week with my Grandmother, I learned!  Counting! Turning! Increasing! Decreasing!  And that was great!  But I had of yet to see a written pattern. 

Years later, when I was in high school, my other Grandmother gave me a crochet kit for making slippers.  I recall the yarn was orange, and very stringy.  And they wanted me to crochet in the round with it.  Crochet in the round??  At the time I hadn't a clue what that meant!

Then, after graduation, I spent a weekend with my (then) boyfriend's grandparents.  They were in the process of moving and his grandmother gave me a beautiful granny square blanket.  I was mystified!  How did she do that?  The idea of sewing little squares together never dawned upon me!

Fortunately, today, I can laugh at these memories.  I have learned so much since those early days!  I love to learn new crochet stitches and techniques, as well as teaching others so they can make the connections much faster than I did!  {VBG} 

How about you?  What is/was your crochet hang~up?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My biggest hang up was turing a row and the difference between hdc and dc. My landlady taught me how to read crochet patterns....I also learned how to frog...and frog some more with out swearing....LOL ~Christy