Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Beauty of Crochet Creates Kiss

One of the great things I love about crochet is how changing just one thing ... be it a yarn over, where you grab your loops, changing the yarn or the hook ... will change the look of the fabric we're creating stitch by stitch.

One of these simple changes is working its way into one of my designs that is headed for publication. While I cannot give details on the actual project (yet!), I can share the stitch. Before doing so, I want to note that I do not recall seeing this stitch in a publication -- yet. Or perhaps I have, but just can't remember where. I am not claiming to have invented it, but I am claiming naming it the "Kiss" stitch until I can find out more information about it.

Why call it the "Kiss" stitch? Because it reminds me of two great loves coming together to create one special experience -- a simple kiss. Give it a try and let me know what you think:



Readers, if you've seen this stitch elsewhere, please let me know! Thanks! :)

9 comments:

Jennifer Cirka said...

VERY pretty!! I love it!

But haven't seen it before....

Mamapooki said...

I don't recall seeing that one, it's beautiful.

Me said...

Dee--
Yes, I have seen this stitch before. I believe I used it on a pair of gloves or mittens. I'll try to hunt down that pattern for you. It is not mine, but free online. I believe that designer referred to it as a bobble--not your typical bobble!

All that aside... I do love your work!

Me said...

Dee-
Have been completely unsuccessful finding that pattern! I can tell you that the stitch used was a "Front Back Bobble." This FBBl is actually constructed something like a DC DEC--only in one stitch! [YO, insert into BL of stitch, YO and pull thru 2 loops, YO, insert into FL of stitch, YO and pull thru 2 loops, YO and pull thru all 3 loops].

Have a great day!

Darlene said...

Love the pattern. I futzed around with it and made a dishcloth and started a scarf. I am sure you will come up with something truly elegant using the pattern instead of my humble efforts. Darlene

Vashti Braha said...

Hi Dee, I love your experiments!
This one reminds me of a similar stitch pattern, maybe called "thermal stitch" at JP Fun? I think she did the same kiss stitch every row instead of alternating with a row of sc like you're doing.

Vashti Braha said...

Found it! It is less similar to yours than I thought. There are at least 3 differences: http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/dishcloths/f112008_thermalstitchdishcloth.shtml

Feral Housewife X said...

i havent see this stitch before either... very beautiful!

sigh... i just love the mediium of crochet! so variable...

thanks for sharing

Darlisa said...

It's a "Back Front Single Crochet (bfsc)" stitch - http://www.crochetme.com/its-not-easy-being-a-green-hat; http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/potholders/f102006_ultrathickholder.shtml; http://www.yarnsandmusings.com/2006/08/moms-favorite-scrubby-dishcloth.html