Thursday, September 6, 2007

Parking Lot Conversations

School has been in session now for a week, and every afternoon as I await for them in the school parking lot I can be found with yarn and hook happily stitching away.  At the moment I'm working on another project that will ultimately be felted, embellished, and then donated to the school for their fundraising auction that is quickly coming up. 

I love when people inquire about the projects on my hooks, so yesterday was a delight; I caught another parent watching me as I crocheted happily away with a new (to me) yarn that I am in love with (
Berroco's "Jasper" which is a merino wool that self stripes -- it's devine!).  I looked up from my work and gave her a smile; she's a Mom from my daughter's class.

"How was your summer?" I inquired.

"Too short! And yours?" she asked in return, still watching me crochet.

"Too short also!"

"I started learning how to knit during the summer," she replied.  "I'm just doing the basic knit stitch right now.  I'm learning that keeping count of my stitches is important."

I chuckled.  "Oh, yes! Stitch counts are very important in crochet too," I said.

We had to stop our conversation there as our children were coming out of the school.  As I went to greet my children I thought it was nice that she has started learning a fiber art. 

Then tonight there was an Open House at the school.  Since I'm still working on the same project, I brought it with me, selected a seat in the back of the auditorium and began my crocheting.

A few moments later I heard the same Mother from the day prior state, "Shoot! I should have brought my knitting!"

She was watching me crochet again.  I looked up at her and gave her a big smile.  "Yes, you should have!" I encouraged.  "Perhaps next time you will."

She looked at my work and commented on the stripes.  "Did you plan this?"

"No, it's the yarn doing  all that work.  I just make the stitches." 

She asked about the fiber content, it's cost, and how it washes.  "It's pretty," she said.  "Where do you get your yarn?"

I couldn't help but laugh.  "I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh," I replied, "it's just that I'm a Yarn Addict.  I get yarn at many, many places, and if you'd like, I can share with you a long list of places to check out."

She gave me a big grin.  I can see we're going to have some great conversations in the school parking lot! :)

No comments: