Monday, April 30, 2012

A Sheepishly Good Time


sheep sheering at the 103rd CT Sheep & Wool Festival
On Saturday, April 25th, I got up early, had my coffee, packed a few last minute things and was out the door by 7AM.  By 7:15, with my car loaded with teenagers (who were volunteers to help my CGOA Chapters members), we were on the road headed to the 103rd Connecticut Sheep & Wool Festival.
Some of the HHCC'ers at the
103rd Connecticut Sheep & Wool Festival
With traffic being light, we arrived by 9AM and started setting up the HHCC's demonstration booth in the Red Barn.  I was so glad I brought a coat: with the wind, it turned out to be quite freezing!  For most of the day, when not teaching or demonstrating, I wore the crocheted mittens I brought for the display -- a real life saver for my frozen fingers!

When I wasn't busy at the HHCC's booth, I was spending time with the teenagers -- one was celebrating her 15th birthday, so we had yummy carrot cake and crochet lessons in the warm sunshine for her!  ... and I got to do a bit of shopping too.  I bought mostly stitch markers and ID size tags.  Sure, stitch markers are sold local to me, but this is the first time I've seen them in purple!  My CGOA Chapter color!!  LOL  My daughter bought me the sheep beads which I think I'll make into earrings.  I didn't buy any of the super yummy yarns although I wanted too -- I'm still working through the yarn I had bought back in January!
Dee's loot matches HHCC color theme.
A nice surprise was a judging contest that took place in our barn.  We had no prior knowledge about it, so when they came to our booth asking if we'd like to submit something I nudged Nancy.  She submitted two items and walked away with two ribbons!  She had the biggest smile on her face; I loved seeing how happy it made her!  You can read about her ribboning experience on her blog here:  http://www.nlsstitches.com/journal/2012/4/28/hook-winked.html

For a sheep & wool festival of its size, it is a great way to spend the day, sharing in the love of all alpaca'd in a single day.  I think everyone had a sheep-ishly good time.  I know I'm looking forward to attending again next year!  :)

No comments: