Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

As I sit here this morning, enjoying a heavenly cup of coffee (which will be my only cup as I am trying to reduce my caffeine & sugar intake), I have an admission to make.

I'm in love. Again.

If you listened to the Getting Loopy Show, then you heard me profess to the world that I am not a cotton fan. This has nothing to do with cotton itself, but more with dealing with the gremlin that lives in my washing machine. It seems, no matter how delicate I wash cotton I always seem to shrink it down to Barbie portions. ((just one more reason I strongly recommend creating TWO gauge swatches ...))

But this doesn't mean I don't like crocheting with cotton. Rather, I do! -- And I did! And this is when I fell in love, with yet another cotton! I used my Go Green T-shirt Bag pattern, increasing the stitch repeat and using a smaller hook with two hanks of Cotton Flamme by Crystal Palace Yarns to make the bag pictured here. ((I won the Cotton Flamme at the CGOA Conference last year.)

So what is a girl to do with her love/hate relationship with cotton? Why, hand over the laundering to Mr. Dee! Today's photo is by him too. What does he have to say about it? "Happy Mother's Day!"

*Disclaimer: flower on bag shown NOT included with Go Green T-shirt Bag pattern. Keep reading:

Loopy Flower by Dee Stanziano
Rnd 1: Ch 2, sc 6 times in 2nd ch from hook, join with sl st.
Rnd 2: (Ch 3, sl st) around. (6 loops)
Rnd 3: Push loops from Rnd 2 forward, (Ch 5, sl st to st from Rnd 1) around. (6 loops)
Rnd 4: Push loops from Rnd 2 & 3 forward, (Ch 7, sl st to st from Rnd 1) around. Finish off. (6 loops)
Add bead to center; sew on.

2 comments:

Astaryth said...

I love this bag! I plan on getting the pattern at some point... but first I need to finish up the projects I already have going LOL!

Curious though.. how does it do with say groceries or books in it? Do you think it would need to be lined if someone was using it to go to the grocery? The reason I ask is I have this little thought in the back of my head that this would make great presents this Christmas for some of our friends and co-workers who are 'Eco' friendly. I could make them up in their favorite colors (either yarn or T-shirt), and that would be several presents off my list. I always have a hard time getting something I can give to all of them since they are a mixed group ;p

Lauria said...

Very nice!

Have you considered washing the cotton yarn Before you crochet with it?

My understanding about cotton is that it doesn't "shrink," it returns to it's natural state. So, by washing it before you use it, it should already return to it's natural state and then you shouldn't have to worry about any more shrinkage!