Thursday, January 3, 2008

Re: blogging for Dee

At the start of the school year, my friend Jan took leave of her current employment as the Home Economics teacher at our church's academy.  My friend Amy took over the reins.  Amy promptly decided that some renovations were in order for the room.  It WAS long overdue.  She's changed out the tables and chairs, put on a fresh coat of paint, cleared out most of the old supplies, organized the supplies that remained, etc.

I'm not sure exactly what all she got rid of, but I do know that two huge industrial-size trash bags (and one large box) of yarns were donated to me.  Did I mention how big those bags were?  Did I mention how much I adore Amy?

About this same time, it was the time of year to start the knitting/crochet club back up at church.  I felt a pull towards creating items for those in need. The Prayer Shawl Ministrycaught my attention. Based on the number of people on the church's prayer list, plenty of people need them. I have to admit that I was a little anxious about how I would pay for all the yarn for these projects.  And in walks Amy with all that yarn.

Even if you haven't got a clue where to start, simply do a search for <i>crochet for charity</i>.  There are free patterns, organizations, and blogs.  All for the charitably inclined.  The possibilities are practically endless. 

Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do. Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225 - 1274)
--------------------------------------

If you would like to see some pictures, some of the shawls I've made are here:
www.jusshardesigns.com/prayershawl.html

Beth Newbern-Hallam
www.JusSharDesigns.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee, I am a crochet person, since I was a child, my mother crocheted anything and everything, many doilies, table clothes, bed spreads all in the fine threads, very delicate. The last things she gave me were her doilies and a beautiful white pineapple round table table cloth.  Gorgeous.  So now I crochet and knit as well, though I am much more talented with crocheting.  My main love is glass bead blowing, glass bead fusing, and a new one....pottery.  But I found your blog and love it.  Let's swap links, what do you think?  I will put yours on my web page.

http://www.deborahhavilandbeadfulthings.com

Anonymous said...

Wow Im starting a new ministry up at church on Saturday. Im thinking of doing shawls and caps and maybe some scarves as well:) Thanks for the  encouragment! Sherri

Anonymous said...

Sherri - Good luck with that!  It's such a rewarding venture.  And I know that this is something I'm supposed to be doing.  Afterall, all that yarn was dumped in my lap at just the right time.  :-)
Beth