Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Bloomin' Flowers: Surface Crochet'em Right On!

Spring is in the air ... flowers are a'bloomin' ...

I have lost count of how many chemo caps I now have completed (45 is my goal; one for each day my father goes in for cancer treatment. All to be donated.)  This one, is hot off my crochet hook, is crafted with half-double crochet stitches.  As I completed the last stitch for the cap I decided it needed a few flowers, and I admit: I really like how they came out.  I thought I'd share how I made them right on the hat itself!

Crocheted flowers with beaded centers make for pretty embellishment.
Bloomin' Flowers:
By Dee Stanziano

Create a slip knot, place loop on hook.

Look at your finished project. Decide where you'd like your flower to reside. Look closer at your work, more importantly, look at the individual stitch that you decided your flower will rest upon. See the legs of your stitch? Or the cross-bar from a hdc or dc stitch? These make great "loops" to directly crochet your flower onto! :)

Gently insert your hook under one of those stitch loops, yarn over and pull through the loop, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook  (this makes your 1st sc st), utilizing that same "loop" create 2 more single crochet stitches.

Turn work 180 degrees, look for another "loop" on the project to secure your flower to. Ensure it is *very* close to the prior used "loop". Make 2 single crochet stitches here, join to first sc st with a slip stitch to complete the round.

Petals: *(ch 3, dc in sc twice, ch 3, sl st in same sc st), sl st in next sc, repeat from * until you have 5 petals. End off.

Since you crocheted the flowers right onto your project, there is no need to sew them on. At this point all that is left is to weave in the tails. Adding a decorative bead to the flower makes for a great option. :)

For those fairly new to crochet, the technique of crocheting directly onto a finished project, be it crocheted or knitted, is known as "surface crochet."

No comments: