Tuesday, August 11, 2009

ChainLink: 2009 CGOA National Conference

August 3: Monday morning was our goal time to leave for Buffalo. Only I forgot to register my items for the Eastern States Exposition, and I also wanted to mail in my entry forms for the Bridgewater Fair before leaving. A slight delay, yes. However we were on the road by 2PM and entered the city of Buffalo, NY around 9:30 in the evening. This meant I missed tuning into the Getting Loopy Show while it aired live -- and hearing my name called as the winner for the drawing.

While checking into the hotel I bumped into Pauline Turner and Delma Myers, both of whom are well known in the crochet world for their published works and teaching. Soon thereafter I bumped into more crocheters, including the rockstar of crochet, Doris Chan. It was like a huge family reunion at the check-in counter at the Hyatt!

While we unpacked our luggage I listened to the archived Getting Loopy Show and did a little cheer -- hey, I won the drawing!! Whoot! Whoot!

August 4: Tuesday we decided we would go to Niagra Falls (American side). The weather forecast said thunder showers so we wanted to go before they hit. We were lucky, the weather held! We first visited "Cave of the Winds" and got completely wet (there is a myth that if you get splashed by Niagra then you are blessed with good health & luck), then while on our way to enjoy the "Maid of the Mist" boat ride we found Pauline and Delma there too! The Falls were spectacular!

Upon return to the hotel we met up with many more familiar faces. We invited them to our hotel room, opened a bottle of wine and toasted to the days of crochet fun ahead...

No comments: